§30-27-8a. Barber apprentice.
(a) The board may establish an apprenticeship program to become a barber. A barber apprentice shall work at all times under the direct supervision of a licensed barber and any permit issued by the board to work as a barber apprentice does not allow a person to practice individually as a barber.
(b) An applicant for a barber apprenticeship shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is at least sixteen years of age;
(2) Is of good moral character;
(3) Is in high school or has a high school diploma, a GED, or has passed the “ability to benefit test” approved by the United States Department of Education;
(4) Has paid the applicable fee;
(5) Has a certificate of health from a licensed physician;
(6) Is a citizen of the United States or is eligible for employment in the United States; and
(7) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(c) An applicant for a sponsor of a barber apprentice shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is licensed as a barber under the provisions of this article;
(2) Has paid the applicable fee; and
(3) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(d) A sponsor of a barber apprentice shall be a current licensed barber with at least five years’ experience and has worked in a shop for the last five years.
(e) The board may propose emergency rules and rules for legislative approval, in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, to implement the provisions of this section, including:
(1) The requirements for:
(A) The barber apprenticeship program;
(B) The barber apprentice permit; and
(C) A licensed barber to sponsor a barber apprentice;
(2) Procedures for an examination;
(3) A fee schedule; and
(4) Any other rules necessary to effectuate the provisions of this section.