§5B-2A-5. Powers and duties.
The office has and may exercise the following duties, powers, and responsibilities:
(1) To establish a procedure for determining the assets that could be developed in and maintained by the community to foster its long-term viability as provided in §5B-2A-8 of this code and to administer the procedure so established;
(2) To establish a procedure for determining the land and infrastructure needs in the general area of the surface mining operations as provided in §5B-2A-9 of this code and to administer the procedure so established;
(3) To establish a procedure to develop action reports and annual updates as provided in §5B-2A-10 of this code and to administer the procedure so established;
(4) To determine the need for meetings to be held among the various interested parties in the communities impacted by surface mining operations and, when appropriate, to facilitate the meetings;
(5) To establish a procedure to assist property owners in the sale of their property as provided in §5B-2A-11 of this code and to administer the procedure so established;
(6) In conjunction with the department, to maintain and operate a system to receive and address questions, concerns, and complaints relating to surface mining; and
(7) On its own initiative or at the request of a community in close proximity to a mining operation, or a mining operation, offer assistance to facilitate the development of economic or community assets. Such assistance shall include the preparation of a master land use plan pursuant to the provisions of §5B-2A-9 of this code.