§16-60-1. Recognition of Emergency Medical Services Personnel Licensure Interstate Compact; purpose.
(a) The Recognition of Emergency Medical Services Personnel Licensure Interstate Compact is hereby enacted into law and entered into with all jurisdictions legally joining therein.
(b) This Compact is intended to facilitate the day-to-day movement of EMS personnel across state boundaries in the performance of their EMS duties as assigned by an appropriate authority and authorize state EMS offices to afford immediate legal recognition to EMS personnel licensed in a member state. The Compact recognizes that states have a vested interest in protecting the public’s health and safety through their licensing and regulation of EMS personnel and that such state regulation shared among the member states will best protect public health and safety. The Compact is designed to achieve the following purposes and objectives:
(1) Increase public access to EMS personnel;
(2) Enhance the state’s ability to protect the public’s health and safety, especially patient safety;
(3) Encourage the cooperation of member states in the areas of EMS licensure and regulation;
(4) Support licensing of military members who are separating from an active duty tour and licensing of their spouses;
(5) Facilitate the exchange of information between member states regarding EMS personnel licensure, adverse action, and significant investigatory information;
(6) Promote compliance with the laws governing EMS personnel practice in each member state; and
(7) Invest all member states with the authority to hold EMS personnel accountable through the mutual recognition of member state licenses.