CHAPTER 17A. MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION, REGISTRATION, CERTIFICATE OF TITLE, AND ANTITHEFT PROVISIONS.
For the purposes of this article, the words and phrases defined in this section have the meanings ascribed to them, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning.
(1) “Dealer agreement” means the franchise, agreement, or contract in writing between a manufacturer, distributor, and a new motor vehicle dealer which purports to establish the legal rights and obligations of the parties to the agreement or contract with regard to the operation and business of a new motor vehicle dealer, including, but not limited to, the purchase, lease, or sale of new motor vehicles, accessories, service, and sale of parts for motor vehicles where applicable.
(2) “Designated family member” means the spouse, child, grandchild, parent, brother, or sister of a new motor vehicle dealer who is entitled to inherit the dealer’s ownership interest in the new motor vehicle dealership under the terms of the dealer’s will, or who has otherwise been designated in writing by a deceased dealer to succeed the deceased dealer in the new motor vehicle dealership, or is entitled to inherit under the laws of intestate succession of this state. With respect to an incapacitated new motor vehicle dealer, the term means the person appointed by a court as the legal representative of the new motor vehicle dealer’s property. The term also includes the appointed and qualified personal representative and the testamentary trustee of a deceased new motor vehicle dealer. However, the term means only that designated successor nominated by the new motor vehicle dealer in a written document filed by the dealer with the manufacturer or distributor, if a document is filed.
(3) “Distributor” means any person, resident, or nonresident who, in whole or in part, offers for sale, sells, or distributes any new motor vehicle to a new motor vehicle dealer or who maintains a factor representative, resident, or nonresident, or who controls any person, resident, or nonresident who, in whole or in part, offers for sale, sells, or distributes any new motor vehicle to a new motor vehicle dealer.
(4) “Established place of business” means a permanent, enclosed commercial building located within this state easily accessible and open to the public at all reasonable times and at which the business of a new motor vehicle dealer, including the display and repair of motor vehicles, may be lawfully carried on in accordance with the terms of all applicable building codes, zoning, and other land-use regulatory ordinances and as licensed by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
(5) “Factory branch” means an office maintained by a manufacturer or distributor for the purpose of selling or offering for sale vehicles to a distributor, wholesaler, or new motor vehicle dealer, or for directing or supervising, in whole or in part, factory or distributor representatives. The term includes any sales promotion organization maintained by a manufacturer or distributor which is engaged in promoting the sale of a particular make of new motor vehicles in this state to new motor vehicle dealers.
(6) “Factory representative” means an agent or employee of a manufacturer, distributor, or factory branch retained or employed for the purpose of making or promoting the sale of new motor vehicles or for supervising or contracting with new motor vehicle dealers or proposed motor vehicle dealers.
(7) “Good faith” means honesty in fact and the observation of reasonable commercial standards of fair dealing in the trade.
(8) “Manufacturer” means any person who manufactures or assembles new motor vehicles; or any distributor, factory branch, or factory representative and, in the case of a school bus, truck tractor, road tractor, or truck as defined in §17A-1-1 of this code, also means a person engaged in the business of manufacturing a school bus, truck tractor, road tractor or truck, their engines, power trains, or rear axles, including when engines, power trains or rear axles are not warranted by the final manufacturer or assembler, and any distributor, factory branch, or representative.
(9) “Motor vehicle” means that term as defined in §17A-1-1 of this code, including a motorcycle, school bus, truck tractor, road tractor, truck, or recreational vehicle, all-terrain vehicle and utility terrain vehicle as defined in subsections (c), (d), (f), (h), (l), (nn) and (vv), respectively, of in said section, but not including a farm tractor or farm equipment. The term “motor vehicle” also includes a school bus, truck tractor, road tractor, truck, its component parts, including, but not limited to, its engine, transmission, or rear axle manufactured for installation in a school bus, truck tractor, road tractor, or truck.
(10) “New motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle which is in the possession of the manufacturer, distributor, or wholesaler, or has been sold only to a new motor vehicle dealer and on which the original title has not been issued from the new motor vehicle dealer.
(11) “New motor vehicle dealer” means a person who holds a dealer agreement granted by a manufacturer or distributor for the sale of its motor vehicles, who is engaged in the business of purchasing, selling, leasing, exchanging, or dealing in new motor vehicles, service of said vehicles, warranty work, and sale of parts who has an established place of business in this state and is licensed by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
(12) “The operation and business of a new motor vehicle dealer or dealership” includes selling, leasing, exchanging, or otherwise conveying a new motor vehicle at retail and performing warranty and recall work for a motor vehicle: Provided, That the provisions of this subdivision do not apply to over the air updates.
(13) “Person” means a natural person, partnership, corporation, association, trust, estate, or other legal entity.
(14) “Proposed new motor vehicle dealer” means a person who has an application pending for a new dealer agreement with a manufacturer or distributor. “Proposed motor vehicle dealer” does not include a person whose dealer agreement is being renewed or continued.
(15) “Relevant market area” means the area located within a 20 air mile radius around an existing same line-make new motor vehicle dealership: Provided, That a 15 mile relevant market area as it existed prior to the effective date of this statute shall apply to any proposed new motor vehicle dealership as to which a manufacturer or distributor and the proposed new motor vehicle dealer have executed on or before the effective date of this statute a written agreement, including a letter of intent, performance agreement, or commitment letter concerning the establishment of the proposed new motor vehicle dealership.