For the purposes of this article, the following terms have the meanings ascribed to them in this section:
(1) "Adjusted gross interactive wagering receipts" means an operator’s gross interactive wagering receipts from West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering, less winnings paid to wagerers in such games.
(2) "Commission" or "State Lottery Commission" means the West Virginia Lottery Commission, created by §29-22-1 et seq. of this code.
(3) "Director" means the Director of the West Virginia State Lottery Commission, appointed pursuant to §29-22-6 of this code.
(4) "Gaming" or "interactive gaming" means wagering on any authorized interactive game. Authorized interactive games are computerized or virtual versions of any game of chance or digital simulation thereof, including, but not limited to, casino themed slot simulations, table games, and other games approved by the commission.
(5) "Government" means any governmental unit of a national, state, or local body exercising governmental functions, other than the United States Government.
(6) "Gross interactive wagering receipts" means the total gross receipts received by a licensed gaming facility from interactive wagering.
(7) "Interactive gaming operator" or "operator" means a licensed gaming facility which has elected to operate authorized West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering activities or an interactive gaming system on behalf of or in cooperation with an interactive gaming licensee.
(8) "Interactive gaming provider" or "management services provider" means an interactive gaming licensee or an interactive gaming operator with a valid permit acting on behalf of or in partnership with an interactive gaming licensee.
(9) "Interactive wagering account" means a financial record established by a licensed gaming facility for an individual patron in which the patron may deposit and withdraw funds for interactive wagering and other authorized purchases, and to which the licensed gaming facility may credit winnings or other amounts due to that patron or authorized by that patron.
(10) "Interactive wagering agreement" means a written agreement between the commission and one or more other governments whereby persons who are physically located in a signatory jurisdiction may participate in interactive wagering conducted by one or more operators licensed by the signatory governments.
(11) "Interactive wagering fund" means the special fund in the State Treasury, created in §29-22E-17 of this code.
(12) "License" means any license, applied for or issued by the commission under this article, including, but not limited to:
(A) A license to act as agent of the commission in operating West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering at a licensed gaming facility (operator license or West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering license);
(B) A license to supply a gaming facility, licensed under this article, to operate interactive wagering with interactive wagering equipment or services necessary for the operation of interactive wagering (supplier license); or
(C) A license to be employed at a racetrack or gaming facility, licensed under this article, to operate West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering when the employee works in a designated gaming area that has interactive wagering or performs duties in furtherance of or associated with the operation of interactive wagering at the licensed gaming facility (occupational license).
(13) "Licensed gaming facility" or "gaming facility" means a designated area on the premises of an existing historic resort hotel, pursuant to §29-25-1 et seq. of this code, or the facility of an entity authorized to operate racetrack video lottery machines, pursuant to §29-22A-1 et seq. of this code, licensed under this article, to conduct West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering.
(14) "Lottery" means the public gaming systems or games regulated, controlled, owned, and operated by the State Lottery Commission in the manner provided by general law, as provided in this article, and in §29-22-1 et seq., §29-22A-1 et seq., §29-22B-1 et seq., §29-22C-1 et seq., §29-22D-1 et seq., and §29-25-1 et seq. of this code.
(15) "National criminal history background check system" means the criminal history record system maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, based on fingerprint identification or any other method of positive identification.
(16) "Wager" means a sum of money or thing of value risked on an uncertain occurrence.
(17) "West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering" or "interactive wagering" or "interactive gaming" means the placing of wagers remotely and in real time on any authorized interactive game with any interactive gaming provider, using any communications technology, by means of any electronic or mobile device or other interface capable of providing a means of input and output. The term does not include:
(A) Pari-mutuel betting on the outcome of horse or dog races, authorized by §19-23-12a and §19-23-12d of this code;
(B) Lottery games of the West Virginia State Lottery, authorized by §29-22-1 et seq. of this code;
(C) Racetrack video lottery, authorized by §29-22A-1 et seq. of this code;
(D) Limited video lottery, authorized by §29-22B-1 et seq. of this code;
(E) Racetrack table games, authorized by §29-22C-1 et seq. of this code;
(F) Video lottery and table games, authorized by §29-25-1 et seq. of this code;
(G) Sports wagering, authorized by §29-22D-1 et seq.; and
(H) Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS).
(18) "West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering license" means authorization granted under this article by the commission to a gaming facility that is already licensed under §29-22A-1 et seq. or §29-25-1 et seq. of this code, which permits the gaming facility as an agent of the commission to operate West Virginia Lottery interactive wagering on the grounds where video lottery is conducted by the licensee or through any other authorized interactive platform developed by the gaming facility. This term is synonymous with "operator’s license."