§5A-6-4b. Project management duties of the Chief Technology Officer; establishment of the Project Management Office and duties of the director of the Project Management Office.
(a) Concerning the management of information technology projects, the Chief Technology Officer shall:
(1) Develop an approval process for proposed major information technology projects by state agencies to ensure that all projects conform to the statewide strategic plan and the information management plans of agencies;
(2) Establish a methodology for conceiving, planning, scheduling and providing appropriate oversight for information technology projects, including oversight for the projects and a process for approving the planning, development and procurement of information technology projects;
(3) Establish minimum qualifications and training standards for project managers;
(4) Direct the development of any statewide and multiagency enterprise project; and
(5) Develop and update a project management methodology to be used by agencies in the development of information technology.
(b) The Chief Technology Officer shall create a Project Management Office within the Office of Technology.
(c) The Director of the Project Management Office shall:
(1) Implement the approval process for information technology projects;
(2) Assist the Chief Technology Officer in the development and implementation of a project management methodology to be used in the development and implementation of information technology projects in accordance with this article;
(3) Provide ongoing assistance and support to state agencies and public institutions of higher education in the development of information technology projects;
(4) Establish a program providing training to agency project managers;
(5) Review information management and information technology plans submitted by agencies and recommend to the Chief Technology Officer the approval of the plans and any amendments thereto;
(6) Monitor the implementation of information management and information technology plans and periodically report its findings to the Chief Technology Officer;
(7) Assign project managers to review and recommend information technology project proposals.
(8) The director shall create criteria upon which information technology project proposal plans may be based including:
(A) The degree to which the project is consistent with the state's overall strategic plan;
(B) The technical feasibility of the project;
(C) The benefits of the project to the state, including customer service improvements;
(D) The risks associated with the project;
(E) Any continued funding requirements; and
(F) The past performance on other projects by the agency.
(9) Provide oversight for state agency information technology projects.