Part V. BUILD WV Project and District Certification.
§5B-2L-14. Designation of a certified district.
(a) A certified BUILD WV district may be designated upon the agreement, in writing, of the following officials: the Secretary of the Department of Economic Development, the Secretary of the Department of Tourism, and the Secretary of the Department of Commerce.
(b) A certified district shall be designated by the identification of a municipality, attraction, landmark, or other point of interest. The certified district may extend, as determined by the designation, up to 20 square miles from that municipality, attraction, landmark, or other point of interest.
(c) The following criteria shall be considered when determining whether to designate a certified district:
(1) The housing and employment needs within the certified district;
(2) Whether the certified district will have a significant and positive economic impact on the state;
(3) Whether there is substantial and credible evidence that designating the certified district will result in one or more certified projects likely to be started and completed in a timely fashion;
(4) Whether the certified district will, directly or indirectly, improve the opportunities in the area where the project will be located for the successful establishment or expansion of other commercial businesses;
(5) Whether the certified district will, directly or indirectly, assist in the creation of additional employment opportunities in the area or assist in the filling of currently available jobs;
(6) Whether the certified district helps to diversify the local economy;
(7) Whether the certified district is consistent with the goals of this article; and
(8) Any other relevant and reasonable criteria determined by the designating officials.
(d) In no case may more than 3 BUILD WV districts exist at any one time in this state.
(e) A certified district may be decertified at any time upon agreement, in writing, of the designated officials provided for in subsection (a). In no case may any BUILD WV district be certified for any time period longer than 10 calendar years, unless redesignated in the same manner as provided for designation.
(f) In no case may a proposed BUILD WV project be certified in any geographic area that is not a certified BUILD WV district.
(g) The designation made pursuant to this section as to the designation of a certified district, refusal to designate a certified district, decertification, or revocation of certification of a BUILD WV district is final.