Email: Chapter 18, Article 31, Section 4
§18-31-4. Powers of the board.
The board is authorized to take any action necessary to effectuate the provisions of this article and to successfully administer the Hope Scholarship Program, subject to applicable state and federal law, including, but not limited to the following:
(1) Adopt and amend bylaws;
(2) Execute contracts and other instruments for necessary goods and services, employ necessary personnel and engage the services of private consultants, actuaries, auditors, counsel, managers, trustees, and any other contractor or professional needed for rendering professional and technical assistance and advice: Provided, That election of these services is not subject to the provisions of §5A-3-1 et seq. of this code;
(3) Implement the program through the use of financial organizations as account depositories and managers;
(4) Develop and impose requirements, policies, procedures, and guidelines to implement and manage the program;
(5) Determine whether an expenditure of Hope Scholarship funds is or was a qualifying expense to educate a Hope Scholarship student pursuant to §18-31-7 of this code. The board may approve or deny expenditures by a majority vote;
(6) Review any appeals made pursuant to §18-31-10(b) and §18-31-10(d) of this code;
(7) Establish the method by which moneys in the Hope Scholarship Expense Fund shall be allocated to pay for administrative costs and assess, collect and expend administrative fees, charges, and penalties;
(8) Authorize the assessment, collection and retention of fees and charges against the amounts paid into and the earnings on the Hope Scholarship funds by a financial institution, investment manager, fund manager, West Virginia Investment Management Board, West Virginia Board of Treasury Investments, or other professional managing or investing the Hope Scholarship funds and accounts;
(9) Invest and reinvest any of the funds and accounts under the board’s control with a financial institution, an investment manager, a fund manager, the West Virginia Investment Management Board, West Virginia Board of Treasury Investments, or other professionals investing the funds and accounts: Provided, That investments made under this article shall be made in accordance with the provisions of §44-6C-1 et seq. of this code; and
(10) Solicit and accept gifts, including bequests and other testamentary gifts made by will, trust, or other disposition; grants; loans; aid; and property, real or personal of any nature and from any source, or to participate in any other way in any federal, state, or local governmental programs in carrying out the purposes of this article: Provided, That the board shall use the property received to effectuate the desires of the donor, and shall convert the property received into cash within 180 days of receipt.