Email WV Code

Email: Chapter 56, Article 10


§56-10-1. Interpleader.

A defendant in an action brought against him for the recovery of money which he does not wish to defend, but which money is claimed by some third person, or for the recovery of the possession of personal property to which he makes no claim, but which is claimed by a third person, may file his affidavit stating the facts in relation thereto, and that he does not collude with such third person but is ready to pay the money claimed, or deliver the property, to the owner thereof, as the court may direct, and the court may thereupon make an order requiring such third person to appear and state the nature of his claim, and maintain or relinquish the same, and may in the meantime stay the proceedings in such action. If such third person, on being served with a copy of such order, shall not appear, the court may, on proof of the plaintiff's right, render judgment for him and declare such third person to be forever barred of any claim in respect of the subject matter, either against the plaintiff or the original defendant, or his personal representative. If such third person, on being so served, shall appear, the court shall allow him to make himself defendant in the action and, either in such action or otherwise, cause such issue or issues to be tried as it may prescribe, and may direct which party shall be considered the plaintiff in the issues; and shall give judgment upon the verdict rendered or, if a jury be waived by the parties interested, shall determine their claims in a summary way. The court may also make such order for the disposition of the money or property which is the subject matter of the action, pending the same, as to it may seem proper, and may enter judgment as to costs as may be just and proper.

§56-10-2. Who may execute bonds required in suits.

A bond for obtaining any writ or order, in term or vacation, may be executed by any person with sufficient surety, though neither of the obligors be a party to the case.

§56-10-3. Recovery of damages for detention of property after verdict.

When a judgment for specific personal property is affirmed by an appellate court, or an injunction to such judgment is dissolved, the person who is entitled to execution of such judgment, or who would be entitled if execution had not been had, may, on motion to the court from which such execution has issued, or might issue, after twenty days' notice to the defendant or his personal representative, have a jury impaneled to ascertain the damages sustained by reason of the detention of such property subsequent to such judgment; or if it was on a verdict, subsequent to such verdict; and judgment shall be rendered for the damages so ascertained, if any.



Acts, 2002 Reg. Sess., Ch. 80.

§56-10-5. Partition of goods or chattels.

When an equal division of goods or chattels cannot be made in kind among those entitled, a court of equity may direct the sale of the same and the distribution of the proceeds according to the rights of the parties.

§56-10-6. Affidavits by corporations and agents.

An affidavit by or for a corporation may be made by its president, vice president, general manager, cashier, treasurer, or a director, without any special authorization therefor, or by any person authorized by a majority of its stockholders or directors to make the same; and when an affidavit is made by any person other than the principal authorized by law to make it, such person shall be deemed to have been the agent of the person so authorized until the contrary is made to appear.

§56-10-7. Right of circuit judge to hold hearings and enter orders in any county of circuit unless objection filed; jury cases excepted.

In any (a) appeal from or to review the judgment, order or ruling of any court of record or administrative agency, (b) appeal from a justice of the peace court, (c) ex parte proceeding, (d) adoption proceeding, (e) change of name proceeding, (f) summary procedure or proceeding, (g) eminent domain proceeding, (h) juvenile proceeding, (i) action wherein an extraordinary remedy is sought, such as mandamus, prohibition, certiorari, habeas corpus, quo warranto, or information in the nature of quo warranto, and (j) civil action instituted under the Rules of Civil Procedure for Trial Courts of Record, the judge of a judicial circuit may hold hearings, including but not limited to pretrial conferences, and enter orders in any county of his circuit although he is not physically present in the county in which such action, appeal or proceeding was instituted or is pending, unless there is objection thereto in writing, filed by one of the parties prior to such hearing or the entry of such order: Provided, That in any appeal, action or proceeding in which a jury trial has been demanded or exists as a matter of right, trial by jury shall be held only in the county wherein such appeal, action or proceeding is pending.

§56-10-8. Priority of cases involving placement of children.

Any action or motion which involves a contested issue regarding the permanent or temporary placement of a minor child shall be given priority over any civil action before the court except actions in which trial is in progress and actions brought under article twenty-seven, chapter forty-eight of this code and shall be docketed immediately upon filing.