Email: Chapter 8, Article 11, Section 3
§8-11-3. Cases requiring enactment of ordinance.
In the following enumerated cases, the action of a governing body shall, except where otherwise provided in this code, be by ordinance:
(1) Levying taxes or providing for the collection of fees of any kind;
(2) Requiring a license to do business;
(3) Relating to offenses and penalties;
(4) Authorizing the issuance of bonds or other forms of indebtedness;
(5) Providing for a public improvement;
(6) Providing for the purchase of private property by the municipality or for the sale of property belonging to the municipality;
(7) Laying out or vacating a public street, avenue, road, alley or way;
(8) Relating to planning and zoning;
(9) Granting franchises to public utilities;
(10) Providing for a contractual or other agreement with another jurisdiction; and
(11) Relating to such other matters as the charter may require.
The action of a governing body shall also be by ordinance in any other case in which an ordinance is required by the provisions of this code.