§11A-4-6. Redemption by persons under disability from purchase by individual.

In addition to and notwithstanding any other provisions of this article, any infant or mentally incapacitated person whose real estate was, during such disability, conveyed by tax deed pursuant to this chapter to an individual purchaser, may redeem such real estate by paying to the purchaser, or his heirs or assigns, before the expiration of one year after removal of the disability, but in no event more than twenty years after the deed was obtained, the amount of the purchase money, together with the necessary charges incurred in obtaining the deed, and any taxes paid on the property since the sale, with interest on such items at the rate of twelve percent per annum from the date each was paid. If such person was the owner of an undivided interest in the real estate sold, he may redeem such interest by paying that proportion of the purchase money, charges, taxes and interest chargeable to his interest; but after a deed has been delivered to the purchaser, he shall not have the right to redeem more than his own undivided interest. If improvements have been made on such real estate after the deed was obtained and before the offer to redeem as herein provided, the person redeeming shall pay to the purchaser, or his heirs or assigns, the value of the improvements at the time of such offer, after deducting therefrom the value of the use of such real estate without the improvements, from the date of the deed to the date of the offer. Upon payment or tender of payment, the purchaser, his heirs or assigns, shall, at the expense of the person redeeming, convey to him by quitclaim deed the real estate so redeemed.

One entitled to redeem under the provisions of this section may, if he is unable or is not willing to pay for the improvements made by the purchaser, elect to relinquish his interest in the property. If he so elects, he shall be entitled to an amount equal to the estimated present value of the land without the improvements less what he would have had to pay to redeem the land had no improvements been made. Upon payment to him of such amount, he shall by quitclaim deed convey the land to the purchaser, his heirs or assigns.

If in any case provided for in this section the parties cannot agree on the amount to be paid, any of them may upon ten days' notice in writing to the other, or others, apply by petition, to the circuit court of the county in which the real estate is situated to have the matter referred to a commissioner to ascertain the proper amount to be paid. Upon confirmation by the court or judge of the report of the commissioner, and upon payment or tender of the amount, if any, so ascertained to be due, the person to whom payment or tender was made, shall execute the quitclaim deed as provided above. In the event of his refusal to do so, the court, or judge, may appoint a commissioner to execute the deed.

If there is a refusal to execute the deed in any case in which there was no dispute as to the amount necessary for redemption, the person entitled to the deed may, upon ten days' notice in writing to the other party or parties, apply by petition to the circuit court for the appointment of a commissioner to execute the deed.

Bill History For §11A-4-6

1947 Regular Session
Senate Bill 333
1945 Regular Session
Senate Bill 47
1943 Regular Session
House Bill 327
1941 Regular Session
House Bill 269