For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) “Account owner” means the person who opens and invests money into a Jumpstart Savings Account, as provided in this article.
(2) “Beneficiary” means the person designated as a beneficiary at the time an account is established, or the individual designated as the beneficiary when the beneficiary is changed.
(3) The “board” means the West Virginia Jumpstart Savings Board created in §18-30A-5 of this code.
(4) “Contribution” means any amount of money deposited into a Jumpstart Savings Account according to the procedures established and required by the board or the Treasurer.
(5) “Deduction” as used in this article has the same meaning as when used in a comparable context in the laws of the United States relating to income taxes, unless a different meaning is clearly required. Deduction means and refers to a deduction allowable under the federal income tax code for the purpose of determining federal taxable income or federal adjusted gross income, unless text clearly indicates otherwise.
(6) “Distributee” has the same meaning provided in §11-21-12m of this code.
(7) “Distribution” means any disbursement from an account.
(8) The term “family member”, as used to describe a person’s relationship to a designated beneficiary, includes any of the following:
(A) The spouse of the beneficiary;
(B) A child of the beneficiary or a descendant of the beneficiary’s child;
(C) A brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister of the beneficiary;
(D) The father or mother of the beneficiary, or an ancestor of either;
(E) A first cousin of the beneficiary;
(F) A stepfather or stepmother of the beneficiary;
(G) A son or daughter of a brother or sister of the beneficiary;
(H) A brother or sister of the father or mother of the beneficiary;
(I) A son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law of the beneficiary; or
(J) The spouse of any person described in paragraphs (A) through (I) of this subdivision.
(K) Any term set forth in this subdivision means and includes such term as established through a lawful adoption, including, but not limited to, adoptions of a child or children, or other natural person, by a natural person or natural persons who are not the father, mother, or stepparent of the child or person.
(9) “Labor organization” means any organization, agency, association, union, or employee representation committee of any kind that exists, in whole or in part, to assist employees in negotiating with employers concerning grievances, labor disputes, wages, rates of pay, or other terms or conditions of employment.
(10) The “program” refers to the Jumpstart Savings Program established by this article.
(11) The “Treasurer” refers to the West Virginia State Treasurer or his or her designee.